Friday, December 25, 2009

Portrait

My good friend, Sarah, and I were talking this week about how our lives can be viewed as a bunch of portraits, a bunch of snapshots.....and how we can view those portraits from different angles and they can look/seem different to us.  I suppose they look different depending on our attitude and our heart's condition...perhaps through who's eyes were looking at them through, our own or God's.  We were discussing this because we both had some specific "portraits" of our own lives, ya know "issues", that we were talking to each other about.

Anyway, as I sat in church tonight and our pastor was talking about Mary, I started thinking of my "portrait conversation" with Sarah and relating it to the portrait of Mary's life at the time of Jesus' birth.  I can't even imagine the amount of people that looked at her life at that time and thought soooooooo negatively of it....that saw the shame in it, the burden of it, the embarrassment of it, the gloom and doom of it, etc.  And yet we can so clearly see today that that portrait was one of the most beautiful ever painted....it was a divine portrait, a portrait of the majestic mighty Sovereign God sending his one and only Son to earth!  Wow....the BEAUTY in that.  The reason that Mary was able to look at that portrait in a different way then almost everyone else and accept it as from God and see the awe of it is because she was looking at it through God's eyes....she saw God's hand upon that situation, upon that portrait....and she trusted Him.

That is what I am thinking of this Christmas.  I am thinking of the portrait that happened 2000 years ago and how people viewed it.  I am asking God to help me see my life more through His eyes and helping me to not get so caught up in my emotions and all the ugliness that I see in so many places.  I want to see my life portraits through His eyes as they really truly are...marked with His prints all over them....all of them controlled by Him and allowed by Him to bring Him glory and for my good.  I want to view my life portraits just as Mary viewed hers.

Okay, so this is a really random blog post but I just felt led to write down these thoughts ....maybe it can help someone else who is struggling to get their mind focused on the things above....as I have been struggling.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him."  Romans 15:13 
Merry Christmas.

No comments: