Sunday, October 11, 2009

the martyrs

The current issue of Christianity Today has an article in it that is really troubling me. It is troubling me for a lot of reasons but more then anything else it is troubling because it reminds me of an issue in our world that is real and it is uncomfortable and it is overwhelming and it is widespread. To really spend time thinking about it and trying to wrap my mind around this problem and wondering what the implications are for me and my family is filling my mind these days.

The issue that I am referring to is the persecuted church. You know, the million upon millions of people in this world that are persecuted for their belief that Jesus is the Son of God. More often then not the persecution that they suffer is heavy. It is severe brutality, it is imprisonment, it is death. Old woman are tortured, kids are not spared. The stories of what happens to the men is revolting. I am just going to say it, their genitals are poked and prodded with toothpicks, knives, and fire before they are eventually cut off. And I won't even begin to go into how else they torture these people. How can you read about that stuff and not have it affect you? I can't anymore! These are my brothers and sisters in Christ. This could so easily be me.

And here I am. Sitting here with 10 Bibles right next to me in my book shelf. I talk about the Lord to anyone who will listen. I go to church whenever I want. Anyone who knows me knows that I live and breathe for God. He is my life! I preach openly Jesus Christ as Lord! I live in this land where I am free to do that. Ofcourse there is persecution that comes to me because of all of that but NOTHING compared to what our brothers and sisters go through in other countries.

And so I am asking God, what can I do? I don't want to sit anymore in my comfortable little home and in my comfortable little country unchanged by the evil that surrounds so many followers of Christ in the world. As terrible as it feels I want it to bother me. I want to keep losing sleep over it, I want to have tears throughout the day because of it, I want to be changed by the facts of what is happening in my world. I don't want to live the same. I don't know yet specifically what I can do about this issue but God has definitely put on my heart that there is a purpose He has placed me in this rich and free land. At this point I know that I am to educate my children on the reality of what is happening and not sugar coat any of it. I know that He wants me to send money to the organization "The Voice of the Martyrs". I know that He wants me to pray. Oh God, what else can I do? Please don't let me get so comfortable that I forget.

for more information look at: http://www.persecution.com/
and I think that a MUST read is Safely Home by Randy Alcorn.

No comments: