Friday, January 27, 2012

Education for ME!!!!

 This weekend I am being given an incredible gift.  A friend of mine is taking me to this class in Portland.  I have heard ALOT talked about in the adoption community about grief and attachment issues amongst adopted kids, but I have never went to the extent of educating myself extensively on the topics.  I always felt like I would just cross that bridge when I came to it.  And now, thinking about bringing home our son this year, who will be almost 3 (if not 3 already), I am anticipating having many more "attachment" challenges with him than we had with Meili.  And frankly, even with Meili, I find myself from time to time wondering if some of her characteristics are "attachment" related????  I am so excited to get some formal education on this topic!  And I am soooo thankful to my friend for giving me this gift!!!!!!!!
Here is what they say the class is about:
This four-hour workshop will provide you with:
  • An understanding of the critical role that attachment plays in children’s development
  • An opportunity to reflect on your own attachment style and how this may impact your attachment with your child
  • An overview of attachment styles, unique attachment issues in adoptive families, signs of an attachment problem, and effective strategies for repairing attachment problems
  • Opportunities to practice techniques that you can go home and use with your child. These techniques are designed to address attachment concerns, trauma symptoms, and problems with emotional regulation
  • Support from other parents facing similar challenges
Presenter: Ally Burr-Harris, Ph.D., is a licensed clinical psychologist at Children’s Program in Portland, Oregon. She specializes in the treatment of trauma, grief, attachment, and adoption-related issues. Ally is also a parent by birth and adoption. Two of her children were adopted transracially. Ally has served on the Adoption Mosaic board. Previously, Ally was the director of a federally funded child trauma program and an active participant in the National Child Traumatic Stress Network. She brings a wealth of both personal and professional experience to the workshop.

No comments: