Monday, September 6, 2010

Back to School

Tomorrow morning is a big big big day at our house.
Tomorrow morning we begin a new era in our house.
Tomorrow morning...we begin homeschool.

To say that I am excited is an understatement.
I am so excited that I want to shout it from the roof to tell everyone of our new adventure.
The kids are excited too.  Jorie told me that she has her outfit to wear all picked out but she wants to surprise me with it.  Right now it is close to 11pm and she is still awake, too excited to sleep.
Tomorrow we will jump right into all of it:  math, English, astronomy, phonics, reading, and world history.  Humbled to say that in just my time previewing their curriculum I have already learned some really fun stuff.  Do you know what it is about the sun that proves that the world didn't exist millions of years ago?  Thanks to their astronomy books, I know....and I CANNOT wait to teach them about it.

A couple weeks ago I had an experience with Luke that I THINK will sum up our year to come.  I have been working on math all summer with him trying to catch him up to Jorie so that I can teach them both together.  During one of our little sessions together my Luke started crying saying that he HATED math!  He was really frustrated because he could not understand a concept.  I prayed for him and he persevered through the lesson.  The lesson concluded 45 minutes later with BIG SMILES and lots of hugs and high-fives as we celebrated together him not only learning the concept but getting every question right!  It was one of those treasured momma moments that I got to be right there with him through the defeat and the victory.  I am guessing that this will be a year full of both of those.  And I am so so so thankful to God for allowing me this awesome privilege of sharing those moments with my kids!  Oh, He is so good!

Below are a few pics from our Back to School party that a really good friend hosted last week.  Yet another blessing to have so many families and friends who are sharing this homeschooling journey with us.  And amazingly enough, they are extremely social and none of them wear denim jumpers.


 
And so, tomorrow this little corner of our home will be a very exciting place.  Yes, I KNOW there will be plenty of challenges.  Like what to do with my youngest two all morning and trying to convince Jorie that she is not the teacher, just to name a couple. 

But what it all comes down to is that this homeschooling thing is God's thing for our family.  He has told our family to do this.  Yes, He has given us a LOVE for it and a deep desire to do it, but clearly that is all from Him.  So, I have no fear of it.  It is His and I am just the person that needs to show up every morning, in His strength, and let Him do it.  There are two verses posted in our home that I plan to leave up all year.

Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Psalm 105:4
Look to the LORD and His strength;
seek His face always.


Believe me, I KNOW I can't do this without Him.
And that will be a VERY hard and a VERY good place to be.
let's do it!
to God be the glory.

No comments: