But you know how it goes with me....learning to never say never. :)
So, a few weeks ago I noticed that we were finishing up Ancient Egypt and about to discuss Ancient Greece in our history lessons. I browsed through the curriculum and came across the topic of Greek mythology. These were some of my thoughts: "Who cares about Greek mythology? Not me. Aren't my kids too young to learn about that? Won't it confuse them? Can I talk about ancient Greece without it? I definitely think I will skip it. Seriously, this does not excite me. mythology....ick."
Pretty quick into my discussion with myself, my heart remembered the verse that is our theme verse in home school:
And so I started discussing Greek mythology with the Lord. I finally laid the subject at His feet and asked Him once again to guide me....for Him to guide our family.....for Him to lead us with what He wants us to talk about, to discuss, and to learn about as a family. I did not want my own fears/thoughts to get in the way of what He wanted us to learn and yet I didn't want to just simply and foolishly follow the curriculum. After a week or more of praying about it, I, all of the sudden was just filled with peace that it was okay to proceed. A little anxiously, I began to dialogue with my kids about Greek mythology.
I couldn't believe what happened next. To see the light bulbs go on in my kids minds was so unbelievably awesome. They started connecting all of the pieces in their brains of some of the movies they have seen and/or other things they have encountered to the gods and mythology. "Little Mermaid!" was the first thing I remember them shouting out. I was like, "what?" Then THEY went on to explain to ME how Ariel's dad is just like the Greek god, Poseidon. And then they discussed the movie, Hercules, and then cupid...and then...and then...and then. Are you kidding me? All of the sudden I got to watch my kids thinking deeper about so many things.
And it gets EVEN better. Guess what our family is studying right now in God's (the one true God. :) )Word? Oh yeah baby, Isaiah 44! We are all in Bible Study Fellowship right now and it JUST SO HAPPENS that their study has had us camping out on this chapter. I did not go looking for it or seeking it out....Guess what it is about??? Let me quote just a bit of it: "This is what the LORD says- the LORD Almighty: I am the first and the last; apart from me there is no God. You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one. .........All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame."
Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooo! God is soooooooooooo freaking amazing! His timing and His ways are just too glorious and awesome to comprehend. He is so good. Mmmmm.......
Ah, thank you, Jesus. Thank you for Your knowledge and understanding and wisdom. Thank you for homeschool. It rocks. To You alone be all glory!
1 comment:
What a precious sight at your table. What an amazing God we serve... He is guiding you and helping you train those little hearts and minds for Him! I wish that I could have gone to your HomeSchool! Keep up the excellent work. I, Your Sister, am SO PROUD of you!!!!
Post a Comment