Monday, January 3, 2011

the best of December

wow, December, really?
That was intense.
Fast, full, and almost no moment to breathe.
So thankful for pictures that have captured the memories that remind me of just how great December really actually was. 
Here are some of the moments that I want to always remember:

One of Mei's favorite birthday presents was definitely one that her sister picked out.  Mei opened it right away and probably spent the next half hour using it to try to fix up Papa.  He is such an amazing grandpa to her!
My little man turned five and had a few of his besties over for a swimming party.
 Christmas....amazingly enough just gets better and better.  I think it has mostly to do with the kiddos getting older and really starting to get it, as well as our own family ways of celebrating finally taking root.  And just in
case you are wondering....my tradition is to have no tradition.  After many years now of being a family, I am finally figuring out and at peace with what that means and looks like for us.
 cousins.  I grew up with a DEEP love for my cousins.  And so when I see my kids loving on their cousins, it makes my heart happy.
have I ever mentioned how much I love my friends?  Well, I do.  I think that I should write more about them on this blog.....hmmmm....just add that thought to my to-do list....
As for now, I will just say:  I love them!
A wonderful group of 9 year old girls have decided to do a book club together!  SO FUN!
Every week we get to hang out with a fabulous group of people from our church. 
The group is such a blessing to me!  We served together a handful of times in the last couple months and I loved every piece of it! 

Had a small party for Meili and after a year of just thinking about it I finally tried to make some traditional and true Chinese food.  I am not a good cook and so that fact coupled with using about 10 ingredients that I had never heard of before made me a bit anxious.  Despite being in total exhaustion the Lord was good and just blessed me so much with every moment of the party.  The Chinese food turned out good enough that I am hoping to be brave and try some more recipes for the Chinese New Year. 
Happy 3rd Birthday Meili!!!!!!!  I love EVERYTHING about you!
the grandbabies loving on Papa for his birthday!
 In merely looking for things to fill up our time during our school break, I took this suggestion from a friend and signed me and the boys up to ring the bells one evening.  What a surprise delight it turned out to be!  It was an awesome two hours of rich conversation with the boys about many many Spirit-filled things and the experience provided many many opportunities to practice our social graces (or lack thereof.)  ( I will never forget the lady with the cap on that was putting money in the bucket when Caleb turned to me and said "Is that a man or a woman?" ouch.) 

um, yes, fast and furious.
and very very very good.
God is good!

2011....bring it on!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Sides!:)

gretchen said...

oh, I just LOVE when you update your blog!! :) your family is seriously my favorite!! xo