Monday, November 29, 2010

Our one year. together. forever.

Most call it Gotcha Day.
A friend calls it Family Day.  My sister called it Mei Day.
One year ago today we met and fell in love with our daughter.
I have been looking at her this week.  And I have been thinking....are you really the same girl?  Are you really just one year older?  Because when I look back at the pictures, from one year ago tonight, I see a baby.  I see a scared, young, timid little baby girl.  And then the pictures from this week....I see a beautiful young girl.  A girl who is strong, independent, confident, funny, and oh so sweet.  It truly is hard to believe that so much transformation has happened in a year. 
What has been on my mind most THIS week is her transformation.  And God.  And the two together really really paint such an incredible tangible picture of what God has done for us, who believe in His Son.  In the midst of our sin and darkness He reached out and chose us to be His own, to inherit all that is His, to live in His love forever.  Not because of anything we have done.   And then after He chose us, He transformed us.  Of course, as followers, we are continuing to grow in Him, but our transformation is complete.  The old has gone, the new has come.  Colossians says, "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."  We have a new name, a new identity, a new family, a new way of thinking.  Simply stated, He has adopted us.  What He has done in our lives, as believers, He has also done in grafting in our adopted children.

When we had our first child, for the first time we felt like we understood a little more of God's love for us.  That unconditional powerful love you feel for your own children, can only be compared to God's love for us.  BUT then when you experience adoption, it's like your eyes are opened up more to just what it is that God has done for us.  I am reminded of where I used to be and where I would be without Him.  I am reminded of how I have done NOTHING to deserve all that He has given me, all that I have inherited.  I KNOW that He loves me the same as His chosen people.  I know that He now views me as one of His chosen people.  He has grafted me in.  I look at Mei,  and I get it.  I look at how He has transformed her and I get it.  I look at how she so strongly identifies with us as her family, and I get it.  I look at how she so perfectly fits with her own unique gifts into our family, and I get it. I look at her and am amazed at how I so passionately love her the same as my other kids, and I get it. 

Oh, God is so freaking amazing!  Adoption is so amazing.  Meili Maria Skipper is soooooooo amazing!  Tonight, as I look back, I am humbled and in complete awe that God allowed me a front row seat to experience the miracle of adoption.  Oh, I praise you, Jesus.  Thank you for my baby girl.  I give You all glory!

He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will. Ephesians 1:5



Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen. 
Ephesians 3:15

2 comments:

Nancy Leigh said...

What a transformation indeed! We recall so well that timid little baby this time last year when we met you and Marc in China . . . what a difference just one year has made in all of our lives!

Happy Mei Day!

Hugs from Florida,

Nancy, Mark & Liam

gretchen said...

this makes me cry ;)
praise God!
xoxo