Hey everybody, can't believe all that's happened in the last two weeks! Feels like forever. So much to tell. I'll just hit the highlights of where we have been most recently. On friday Sammy took us to the dump in korah, there is realy no way for me to describe what we smelled, saw and felt. There are people who live at the dump, including children. We hiked mountains of garbage to meet the children who search for their next meal from the loads of garbage being dumped and bulldozed. We knew going in that Sammy was working on getting kids out of the dump and sending them to boarding school.
It cost 700 dollars to get them out and that covers schooling, clothes, and food for the whole year. The moment we started walking the smell was so powerful and the desperation of the situation so overwhelming I told Sammy I'll sponsor whoever needs it. But bekuset found me:) she has the most beUtiful smile and held my hand as we walked through the rest of the dump and to a nearby restaurant where we bought lunch for about 35 kids. I'm pretty sure everyone in our group is now sponsoring at least One child, there is no way you can experience this and not....so start saving your money now:) As if that was not enough for one day Sammy then took us to korah which is.... I'm not sure the best way to describe it but a slum, "house" upon "house" mud walls, tin roofs, dirt floors so many people living in one place and as if it was not hard enough to imagine the image of Christ living in these conditions it started to rain, to downpour, and I am so glad that God did that because what we thought could not be worse did. The water ran into these homes overloaded with children sleeping on the floor. I asks Sammy where they slept when the rainy season hit and he told me in the water on the dirt floor, it is unimaginable. So we handed out food and little money for rent, yes they have to pay to live in these conditions! We hugged and kissed and were welcomed into the homes like we were old friends....I have NEVER experienced a day like that.
Korah history: The king gave land to ostercize the lepers which is now known as Korah. A leporsy hospital started 75 years ago there and we toured that yesterday. This was supposed to be a quick email:) we have spent everyday since with the children of Korah, we worshipped with them at church Sunday, played games, attempted a movie night until the power went out, taught some basic English and have had our hearts stolen. So though i miss my family like crazy and certainly did not intend to make this a 3 week mission trip, we are taking advantage of every opportunity, there is no rest and no feeling sorry for ourselves, we are doing what we came here to do, loving those who have been forgotten. We appreciate your prayers and you can text me some encouragement:) (it's free) I love you all and can't wait to tell you all what God is doing in Uganda and Ethiopia and all the ways that we can join Him.
Malia
So, now I am wondering if THIS is where God will send me and my family???? I hope so. Will any of you pray about going with us?
No comments:
Post a Comment