Sunday, March 28, 2010

the "h" word.

I have to admit, it feels a little bit like coming out of the closet....we've kept it quiet for so long because we only wanted to hear from the Lord, we needed confirmation from Him alone that we were hearing His voice.  And now, FINALLY, we are totally at peace with it and ready to announce...that we are going to homeschool the kids next year.  It feels so funny to even write it, it's just something that I never (before the last 3 months), and I mean NEVER, had on my radar as something my family might do some day.  I call it the "h" word because it all is still so crazy to me.  The way that we came to this decision is a long story, but one that we clearly see God's hand in and His calling us to do this next year.  Someday, when I have more time maybe I'll blog about that piece of story....but for now, I just wanted to let you know our plans...because I know it excites you (HA.) and then share a few of my responses to the MANY comments I have heard and received in these last few weeks of starting to share this news with people....
(please don't feel bad if you've said these things to me... I'm writing it on here because I've heard it MANY times.)

*"WHY?" - #1,We sought the Lord on what to do for the kids education next year and homeschool is where He is leading us.  #2, I want to spend more time with my kids.  #3, I want to serve more with my kids in the community and this will allow us more time to do that.  ( I have lots more reasons but those are the top 3)

*"I am not smart enough to teach my kids."  Hello.  EVERY mother and father is a teacher.  Tell me you have taught your kids SOMETHING?  How to brush their teeth?  Manners?  There are sooo many homeschool curriculums out there that spell it all out for you so you don't need to be a genius to teach your kids education.  Besides, I believe that it all really comes from God anyway:  Daniel 1:17 "God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning."

* "I could never do that!"  Philip. 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."  God doesn't call the equipped but He equips those He calls. 

*"What about YOUR time?"  Ah...my time is the Lord's...well, it should be the Lord's.  I need to work on that.  I know HIS plan is best.  He knows what I need. Will I have an occassional pity party for myself and wish that I had more time to clean, be by myself, read, coffee dates, naps, etc.?  Of course, I am normal.  I fully anticipate some really hard days.  But, hopefully, through those hard days/moments I will grow in my dependence upon the Lord for His strength and learn to be more content in whatever circumstances.

* "When will you find time to clean and do housework?"  Um, first of all, I have no idea.  Second of all, when I get to heaven, God is NOT going to ask me about the cleanliness of my home.  I think that He is going to ask me if I radically abandoned everything for the sake of His call.  He will care more about the time that I invested in people then about the time I spent dusting.  I know I will have to remind myself about this one.

*"I suppose you think public schools are evil."  Um, no.  Marc and I are both proud public school graduates.  We both had great experiences there and had always planned to send our kids into that system.  We are open to WHEREVER God leads: public, private, homeschool, or Africa. ???? 

*Are you leaving private school because of the money/cost?  No.  We are ONLY leaving that school for one reason and that is because God is leading us away, at least for this year.  We ALL love that school and the teachers were/are fabulous.  It was a GREAT experience being there these last 4 years.  But we must look forward, and go where God is leading.

*"Didn't you used to say that homeschool people are 'weird'?"  yup.  ha.  I know some of you are thinking that about it/us.  I know because I used to too. 

*"Will you always homeschool?"  One year at a time. 

"Socialization.  Aren't you worried about it for your kids?"  Honestly, I don't worry about much.    Um, I'm really not sure what the socialization piece is going to look like.  The kids will still be in sports, they love their playdates which I will have to make more of an effort to keep up, and we will  hopefully be more involved in community stuff so they'll have socializing there.  Nope, not worried about it in the least bit.  It will all work out.

This might go down as the most boring post yet but I just wanted to document, I guess, this GIGANTIC turn of events for our family.  Please feel free to ask us anything about it....it's good to be challenged on it....really.  Homeschooling is something that I used to look down upon and now feel like it is the most awesome opportunity.  I am extremely excited about it!  That's all I have to say for right now.  Thank you and good bye.

6 comments:

Bex said...

Oh that is cool. Good for you guys. My husband and I were just talking about home-schooling this weekend when another family we blog stalk and whom we think are very "cool" have decided to do home-school! Keep us posted. :-)

My Chick Chat 247 said...

obedience trumps worst case scenario. way to be obedient! we support you and are excited for the little skips. can I come watch when you teach?! Ha!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! We met while in China in December while we were bringing home our little ones and I have been following your blog ever since.(We were in your Holt group and sat next to you during the medical exam. You may or may not remember but I am also a nurse)Anyway, I homeschooled our daughter long before it was fashionable and people thought I was a weirdo too!It may not be for everyone but following hard after the LORD should ALWAYS take top priority. You go girl and let me know if I can offer any long distance help this next year! Nancy in Florida

Anita Olson said...

Be weird my friend...or at least continue on. Really - good for you. Your willingness to follow God, especially to what you thought you'd never do, amazes me.

Anonymous said...

In the center of His will is the safest place to be...inspired and so excited for you and your family!

Jocelyn said...

Just caught up on your blog, friend. SO excited to read about your family's big decision. Love it!! (but you already knew that!) We'll be right there with ya!