Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gabriella

When people ask me why we are adopting, Gabriella is the first thing that comes to my mind. In 1995 I spent 3 weeks in an orphanage in China. The leaders that were with us told us on day one that they were praying for our hearts to be broken for the things that breaks God's heart. At the time, a very strong and seemingly invincible 19 year old, I had no idea what they meant. Today, after 14 years of crying over having to leave Gabriella behind, I have a better understanding of what breaks God's heart. His heart breaks for the millions upon millions of orphans in our small world. I have heard it said that God doesn't see statistics, he sees children. He created them and He knows everything about each of them. If my heart hurts this much over Gabriella then I can't even fathom how much His hurts over all the others. As my heart prepares to meet Mei, I seem to be going through some increased grief over Gabriella and all of the others that I can't take home. I wanted to show you Gabriella's pictures so that you can see a piece of my heart and also so you can see her beautiful face. A face that probably never lived outside of an orphanage or ever experienced the love of a family.
Will you ask God to break your heart for the things that break His?




2 comments:

shaneandmalia said...

Oh Jen, I so love these pictures!! And all that you wrote...thinking of sweet Mei tonight, she has no idea the love that awaits her and I can hardly wait for her to find out. Love you girl and praying for you always as you wait...

Malia

the andersens said...

oh my gosh, jen, i'm seriously sobbing as I look at your pictures and read this. I had no IDEA you had pictures like this and cannot believe how God has brought you almost full circle with sweet Mei. How amazing is our GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh...seriously....this is one of your most amazing posts ever, I think.

love you,
moe