Friday, June 12, 2009

thinking of a little name switcheroo

Well, normally I wouldn't recommend posting on your blog all of the names you are thinking about naming your newest child. But I have never struggled with a name like I have with this child. Marc and I simply are on different pages and both way too influenced by everything you can imagine in this "naming" process.
I THOUGHT we had settled on Mya. We even made this official announcement to our kids a few days ago that "mommy and daddy are done talking about it and her name is now officially Mya!" ....a sigh of relieve came over all of us to be done with that process.
Then tonight on a bike ride Marc informed me that we can't name her Mya because he thinks it sounds Indian. He also doesn't want her middle name to be Maria (which is my middle name) because he thinks it sounds too Mexican. He further informed me that he wants to name her a name that "sounds" Chinese. I do love my husband but this is getting ridiculous.
From the beginning of this process I wanted her name to be "Mei". I think it sounded really cute and obviously Chinese. It is a cute name and honors her heritage. Plus, when she goes back to visit or live in China some day I wanted her to have a name that can easily blend in. I hoped that she would come with that name on her referral so that the choice would be obvious. But she did not. For the record, I have always had Mei in my mind but have also had about 18 thousand other names choices I liked too.
Anyway, Maria has always been my choice for the middle name. I want to give it to her because it is MY middle name and giving her MY name is very special to me. She won't have my blood, genes, or looks. I want to give her my name. I know Marc doesn't like it but I am holding firm on this one.
So, I am not making any official announcements. I am simply putting in writing my latest choice for a name for my daughter....oh by the way, when I just got home from the bike ride and looked up the meaning of Mei, I found that it means: the youngest of sisters, beautiful.
Mei Maria Skipper

No comments: