Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Why adoption? Why now?

So many of you have asked us why we are adopting and my answer is usually, "it's a really long story". I have to say though that it is an amazing story that I never want to forget. I never want to forget how God has brought us to this place. So, I sat down to write out all of the details of our adoption journey thus far, starting 13 years ago. I started writing it on a Word document and let's just say that so far I am on page 4 and I am not done yet. I had planned to cut and paste it on here but I am not sure that any of you really want to know that many details. I will attempt to give you the story briefly...........

Let me start by saying that the bottom line to why we are adopting is because we want to be obedient to God. We know that He is telling us to go this direction and to do it now. To quote Jim Elliot, "How do I know it is His counsel? No vision, no voices, but the counsel of a heart which desires God. I am as sure of His direction as I am of His salvation."

In the summer of 1995 I spent 3 weeks working in an orphanage in China. It was during those long hot AMAZING days that God made a place in my heart for a Chinese baby girl.


Marc and I discussed the possibility of adoption before we were even engaged as I knew it would likely be an adventure I would want to pursue. After much thought he decided it was indeed something that he'd also like to do someday if the Lord led us that way.


It took almost a year to get pregnant with Jorie. During that time ,as we became more and more convinced we wouldn't have a biological baby, adoption was on the forefront of our thoughts, we thought it was about to become reality and we realized we were indeed ready to jump at the chance to adopt an international baby.


Throughout the next several years as we popped out three blondies (three kids we love more than life itself) our desire to adopt continued. We never stopped talking about it. Our only hangup was that we couldn't agree on the timing. Either Marc was ready and I wasn't or vice versa.


Our two Chinese exchange students (which came our way seemingly very randomly.....now I see God's hand in it) the last couple of summers impacted our family in ways that we could have never imagined. Amongst many other things we realized that family has less to do with what you look like on the outside or where you come from and has much more to do with the connecting of hearts, shared experiences, and sharing a special kind of love.
The beginning of this summer Marc announced to me that he was ready! I quickly replied to him that I was not! That brief discussion began a summer of praying daily on my knees seeking the Lord on this matter. My words with God were many including, "why would this still be such a passion on both of our hearts after all this time and yet why hasn't it yet happened?", "why are Marc and I never ready at the same time?"..."God, I just don't know where this is going and frankly I am kinda sick of having it on my heart for so long and going nowhere..", "God, please bring unity to us, please show us your will....God we just want to do what you want us to do." God is so faithful to hear our cry and speak to us in His timing. These were some of His words to me from Psalm 27, "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. My heart says of you, 'Seek his face!' Your face , Lord, I will seek.'"
The next biggest piece of the story was on our Anniversary trip the end of August. On the 5 hour drive to our destination Marc started playing a podcast of the most recent Focus on the Family programs. It happened to be the 3 day discussion James Dobson had with Steven Curtis Chapman who had recently lost his youngest daughter who had been adopted from China. How wise and amazing the Lord is to use these seemingly random things to work in our hearts and point us in the direction of His will. As it turned out that car ride was the beginning of a 4 day deep and powerful and intense discussion of our own adoption journey.
The fears, doubts, insecurities, and trials of adopting abounded. But throughout it all God kept reminding us that the safest place to be is in His will. That His plan is greater than anything we could ever imagine or create for ourselves. He was teaching us a lesson on what pure faith looks like. Hebrews: "By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family.... By faith Abraham, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." Faith is not leaning on your own understanding, your own seen circumstances, or even on what others say.....BUT instead faith is clinging to God's most powerful word, His promises, and that sweet quiet voice He whispers in your ear in your moments alone with Him.
For the first time in late August Marc and I both at the same time heard God say to our hearts, GO. Now is the time.
The moment He brought unity to us was the moment that all fears and doubts vanished. They are no more. Instead we are overflowing with excitement of what this adventure of following Him will bring. His plan is ALWAYS the best and no matter what the outcome, we give all glory and honor and praise to our Mighty King.


Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

Psalm 82:3




2 comments:

Anita Olson said...

Jen,

Beautiful Girl... and very encouraging. I sometimes wonder if God's hard work isn't in the paperwork process and the obstacles of another country- but in getting our lives and hearts into the place to hear his whispers about adoption, to calm our fears, and bring unity to our marriages. I'm praying for you, and thankful for your friendship.
Anita

Unknown said...

Where do I start? I'm so excited for you guys. You are a great example of following God's will & an inspiration to me. My pregnancies are so hard that if we have more kids adoption is definitely at the top of the list. I can't wait to hear more about this new addition to your family!!!
Keep us posted!!
-Emily