Thursday, December 27, 2012

A heart of giving.

A rare appearance at our house this Christmas:
presents under the tree.
 Most people don't know this about us:
We have never (okay, maybe once.) given our kids presents at Christmas.
I could write a novel about why we don't but I don't have time for that right now.  The bottom line is that my heart is to follow Jesus.  And the Lord has never given us the lead to give gifts at Christmas.
A few weeks ago my oldest daughter and I were conversing about this topic and I encouraged her to be open with me about her feelings about the way we celebrate Christmas in our family.  It was a delightful dialogue which included her asking me if her and her siblings could do a gift exchange this year.  The rules she made up:  they draw names, a 15 dollar limit, they each had to spend their own money to purchase their gift, mom and dad had to provide the money for Levi and Meili's purchases. 
Something about it just felt right.  I did not feel God saying "no" so I said, let's go for it!
I was doubtful that the idea would be a success but was delighted that it was her idea and wanted to empower her to do what we have been talking about for these last 11 years with her;  following the Spirit's lead, and NOT American culture.
 
 To my amazement, the kids were BEYOND excited to buy and give a gift to their sibling.  They were sooooooo excited about giving.  On Christmas Eve I pulled them back one by one into my bedroom where they, with great enthusiasm, wrapped up their gift to give....and then marched out to place their gift under the tree.  NONE of them talked or even mentioned what they would be receiving...it was ALL ABOUT what they were giving.  This was sooooooooo intriguing to me.  I couldn't believe it.
 
 And then on Christmas morning, they were so excited for each other to open their one gift.  
It was incredible.  I am still kind of in awe over the whole thing.  It turned out to be a profoundly special piece of our time together that morning. 
 Who knows how the Lord will lead next year.  
But this year, just like the 11 last years have been, was unique and incredible.
Soooooo thankful to God for how He so specially takes care of and leads our family.
 We get no credit....it's all about HIM! 
And He gave me the gift of getting to see a piece of His work in my kids' hearts.....He is giving them a heart to give.  Praise you, Jesus!

No comments: