Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Guangzhou

Guangzhou is China's third largest city.
Over 12 million people live there.
It is the political and economic center for southern China.
 The famous Pearl River runs right through the center of the city.
 The climate is very warm and tropical.
 Two and a half years ago, at the age of 6 weeks old, somewhere...somewhere in this ginormous city my baby boy was hugged and kissed by his birth momma before her heart was completely broken and the time for them to separate had come.  
 She kept him for 6 weeks, I have no doubt she wanted him and loved him. 
 While boys in China are still held in the highest esteem, because of deep cultural beliefs and myths, societal pressures, and current healthcare high prices, a boy with any medical condition is very challenging for a Chinese family to raise. I will always think it was his medical conditions that were the reasons she could no longer care for him. 
As her heart broke in ways that only a birth mom separated from her child could understand, I know she prayed someone would find him and love him and give him a home.
Indeed, he was quickly found and taken to the local Social Welfare Institution, or as we would call it, the orphanage, where he would stay for the next 18 months.

 Upon arrival, his medical needs were quickly discovered and he soon after received surgery for an intestinal issue (which he needed to continue living), and his genetic blood condition (not contagious) was monitored.  How grateful we are to the Chinese government for the necessary medical treatment they provided.
Last summer, at 18 months of age, he was able to leave the orphanage and go and live with a foster family somewhere....somewhere in this big city.
As far as we know, he is still with them and we are praying he stays with them until the day he comes into our arms.
The pictures and videos that we have received of his foster momma interacting with him are priceless. 
No words....only tears could express my deep gratitude for the home and love they have given him.
We are told that we won't be able to meet his foster family during our two weeks in Guangzhou.
But let me tell you, I will use EVERY EVERY EVERY idea I can think of to try to get the officials to let me meet them.  In the meantime, I am begging God to let us meet.

And so, today, I am thinking of Guangzhou.  
The only city and life my precious son has known.  
A bit different then the little quiet suburbia he will soon encounter.
And will soon call home.


No comments: