Monday, April 11, 2011

our day at the capital.

 March 31st was "Homeschool Day" at the capital. 
 A day for the homeschool community to experience the capital and meet with our legislatures to ask them to continue to protect our rights to homeschool.  
So, I thought it would be the perfect day to FINALLY take my kids to see the capital and also be a presence and support for a cause and a freedom that is VERY close to my heart, homeschool.

 Well, it turned out to be .....well, a.....um....interesting little field trip.
 The morning started with trying to get all of my kids out of the house by 8:30.  Yeah, that is early for this family.  The first picture above looks like a BUNCH of ragamuffins.  And that's exactly what we were that day.  Oh man, these pictures make me laugh because I know what was happening.  These smiles above are VERY forced.

Okay, so we start our morning by hiking up to the Gold Man.
The kids thought that was great. 
But guess who's kids decided to throw their gum wrappers over the edge right when the tour guide is trying to talk and thus gets scolded by the tour guide in front of everybody?
Yeah, we've never been that meek little well-behaved homeschool family.
Embarrassing.


Walking around the capital was good.
I talk with the kids a lot about our "elected officials" so it was nice to kind of give them the next piece to understanding our legislative system.
 The highlight for me was watching the Senate in session.
It could be said that I have some political blood running through me.
I really enjoy the legislative process and seeing what different issues spark passion in different people.
Unfortunately I had to try to listen to everything going on while also hearing two small children beg for a snack in both of my ears. 
 At noon there was a big rally on the front steps of the capital.
Towards the end of the rally, Planned Parenthood supporters marched around the capital protesting their own issues.  With both of those groups doing their own thing, there was a lot of action and my kids eyes were WIDE OPEN.  Another highlight of the day for me was discussing with my kids the difference between a protest and a rally, and the importance of speaking up in love for the things that God tells us to stand up for.  
My oldest two kids had lots of questions about the PP protesters that were marching loudly in their hot pink shirts.  It was a surprise but GREAT opportunity to discuss with them a piece of what PP is about and why we do not agree with their organization OR what they were chanting.  yikes.  And yet, we praise God for our freedoms that both groups have in their free speech.

 Talking about our freedoms, democracy, and the voice of the people would have been a sweet way to end our first capital experience.  But, unfortunately I just had to push my kids a bit farther and TRY to get their picture in front of those beautiful trees in front of the capital.
Yeah, bad idea.
This picture below says it all:  Jorie is complaining of being frozen, Caleb is undressing, Luke is ignoring me, Marc is saying, "enough.", and only my sweet Mei is ready for a picture!
 So, I decided to forget the rest of them and just get a pic of Meili.
Yeah, then even she turned on me.  She was outta there.
 So, I decided to forget all of them and just take pictures of the trees.
I had a nice quiet few minutes alone in the park.  :)
 So, our first family experience at the capital was.....
I just can't quite find the word to describe it.
I, myself, loved it and I just hope the kids retain even a piece of what they heard and saw.

http://parentalrights.org/
is a group of people that are working to protect our rights as parents.  There are many people in our government and at the UN that do not support our rights as parents to make our own decision on how we want to raise our children.  I encourage you to check out the above website and get educated on what is happening. 

No comments: