He called from work.
"I'm ready." he simply said.
"Ready for what?"
"Ready to go." he said.
"Go where?"
"Ready to go. Wherever God wants us to go. Anywhere. It's time to go."
We had talked about doing overseas mission work together since before we were married. We had a heart to serve and we had medical skills....early on we felt God's call to use both of those together...for Him. Then we had kids. How in the world do we go overseas WITH KIDS we wondered???? Time went by and although our love for the Lord did grow, so did our routines/habits looking more and more like the world's. But then 2010 happened. The year that I will always remember by the Lord GRABBING our hearts individually and yet TOGETHER at the same time. He told us that it was time to let go of our American comforts and no longer live by the world's standard's but by His alone. We knew we had some serious changes to make...both in our hearts and in many outward things.
But it wasn't until Marc told me that he thought God wanted us to go....go somewhere, that I really started to look at my HOME differently. If we were really going to "GO" then I would have to get rid of a BUNCH of stuff. At first all I saw was STUFF! STUFF everywhere! This is ridiculous, I thought....I have soooooooo much stuff and yet so many people don't even have a glass of clean water to drink. Ridiculous. I must get rid of it and give every penny to God's precious children around the world that have nothing. And then the tables turned and I started looking at my stuff differently. Wow, I thought....look how much nice stuff I have collected over the years, it's beautiful, and each piece means so much to me, how can I live happily without it. Oh, I will miss it. Oh, I don't want to give it away. Oh, it's not really THAT big of deal...is it? All of the sudden I saw my home as a mansion full of treasures. I love my home. I saw my home as MY space. A very comfortable space. I grieved the mere thought of having to get rid of my stuff.
And then God spoke to me.
James 5
Ack! Such strong words I thought. Glad I am not the "Rich Oppressor" that the NIV labels that passage as. Uh...but wait...I am theoretically, or actually, in the top 5% of the richest people in the world. Isn't that what the statistics say about most of us middle-class Americans? Um....could this passage on the "rich" apply to ME???? Do I have gold and silver that will corrode and be brought before me on Judgement Day? I know what my friends would say about me....I am NOT rich. I know what most of the rest of the world would say....I AM rich. Um....God, what would YOU say?Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.....You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence.
And so this week, as we begin to prepare to leave for Africa, we have been looking at our stuff a little differently and asking God what HE wants us to keep and what He wants us to get rid of. It hasn't been easy.
4 comments:
Jen, Thank you so much for sharing your journey and being so transparent...I know for me, it is challenging my thinking and lifestyle. Praying for you as you continue to seek His Face, let go of the things of the world, and gain more of Him. Love you, heather
" '...I will bless thee...and thou shalt be a blessing.'" Genesis 12:2
I hear you, and am praying for your heart to be shored up during this time of transistion. Even the best transistion for the best reasons includes mourning and grief. We seem to be having our stuff slowly, piece by piece being taken away. All the American comforts. This week it was the big tv. Will you be willing to go without or will you seek to fill up the space with something besides me?
I'm afraid at this rate the water line might break, or the electical system go haywire.
I love you girl, love walking this road with you, watching you lay it on the altar, love hearing you say on your own you could never do this, only through Christ. Love the honesty, love the tears, love following a God who asks for everything. Love when sweet old ladies scold us at Starbucks for being too loud in our passionate discussions!!
Your love for the Lord and words of wisdom are an inspiration to me. Thank you friend!
Tara B
Post a Comment